About This Job
*** You must have a Work Study Award through Financial Aid to Apply for this Position ***
Boise State’s media preparation laboratory in the Department of Biological Sciences serves to support the needs of the department’s laboratory course work, with primary emphasis in microbiology, along with offering support to our many research labs.
In this position, the candidate will be asked to assist with the preparation and set-up of laboratory experiments along with cleaning and general maintenance of the laboratory environment. Activities involve a variety of routine tasks (such as cleaning glassware), but may also involve non-routine tasks requiring independent judgement to ensure a safe and successful classroom experience for our students.
Concurrent enrollment or completion of BIOL 205 (Introductory Microbiology) or BIOL 303 (General Microbiology) with a grade of B or better. Completion of CHEM 111 & 112 with a grade of B or better.
- Follow good laboratory practices and demonstrate proper aseptic technique
- Pay close attention to detail
- Read, comprehend and follow procedures, methods, and standard protocols
- Assist with preparation and sterilization of microbiological media
- Help prepare chemical reagents and solutions
- Routine handling of Biosafety Level 1 & 2 microorganisms under the direction and supervision of the LMS
- Assist in the decontamination of glassware and classroom samples
- Help with regular sanitation and cleaning tasks including proper disposal of chemical and bio-hazardous waste
- Perform work in an environment which is subject to temperature fluctuations and higher than normal sound levels
Department of Biological Sciences
Shay Gillette – email@example.com
Tim O’Donnell – firstname.lastname@example.org